Our aim is to empower young people in Samaná by providing a platform at our school where they can be supported in developing their potential and improving their own lives. Our school provides volunteers with the opportunity to make a difference to the young people of our local community whom would otherwise lack educational and creative opportunities, whilst also positvely promoting the integration of special needs kids into the educational system. At our school we offer volunteers with the unique chance to implement their own ideas whilst also making a positive difference to our community.
We are constantly adapting our activities to weather patterns, children's needs and volunteer numbers and capacities. In addition to established community activities and programs, motivated volunteers who bring ideas for projects have the chance to set up their own volunteer opportunities in Santa Barbara de Samaná with the financial and organizational support of our charity. If you wish to specialize in a particular activity, we will do our best to accomodate your personal preferences. However, you can be asked to be involved in a combination of activities which can also require working directly in contact with our beneficiaries, children and young people from Santa Barbara de Samaná neighbourhoods.
What to Expect?
Activities can include but are not limited to
- Assist with recreational, development and therapeutic activities for special needs kids
- Help with special events
- Play and take care of underpriveleged children
- Assist with mainenance and restoration activites on our school building
- Assist teachers with projects and activites geared to children with special needs
- Have weekly meetings with other volunteers and staff to create weekly schooling plans
- Assist with English classes and computer literacy classes for local and adults
- Create your own project or activity
Activities for Physical Therapy/Occupational Therapy Students or Proffessionals
For students of physical or occupation therapy, your skills can be utilized at our special needs school. The children at the school have a range of physical and mental disabilities. The only clinic that provides therapy is too far and expensive for most of the families to attend and therefore with your skills the children can get the therapy they need. Please contact us for more information.
We expect out volunteers to dedicate a minimum of three hours/three days per week and a maximum of eight hours/five days per week working in their respective programs. Volunteers/interns usually come by themselves or with their partner to our foundation. However, we do offer family placements as well. In case a family decides to stay with us, the minimum age of the child is eight. Individual volunteers/interns have to be at least 16 years of age. Volunteers/interns under 18 need to being a written permission from their parents or guardians.
- Program ID: # 2313
- duration: 1 to 2 Weeks2 Weeks to 1 Month1 to 3 MonthsMore than 3 Months
- location: Fundacion Aldeas de Paz Santa Barbara de SamanaDominican Republic4° 32' 26.9952" N, 61° 7' 40.548" WDO
- Fitness level: Light Impact
- Closest Airport: Dominican Republic
- Costs From: $500 to $1000$1000 to $1500$1500 to $3000
- Program Type: Community Development ProjectsEnvironmental & Wildlife ProgramsLearn AbroadTeach OverseasWomen's & Youth Programs
- Click Here for More Info