This is a unique opportunity to combine work at 2 different projects. The school is home to nearly 85 students from the surrounding poverty stricken area of La Herradura. However, 22 of the school’s students come from the affiliated orphanage located in the city. Each morning volunteers assist the orphanage kids in getting ready for school and travel with them up into the mountains to attend school. After classes conclude volunteers often stay to spend time with the students away from class and visit them at their homes or play in the river. Volunteers also have the choice to return to the city with the orphanage kids and often assist them with the day’s homework, computer lessons, physical exercises and dinner after arriving back to the orphanage.
La Ceiba is often referred to as the “Adventure Tour” capital of Honduras. Located where the mountains meet the Caribbean Sea, La Ceiba offers what many say is the best white water rafting in all of Central America. You can zip line, horseback ride, relax in the natural hot springs or hike the endless trails of the Pico Bonito National Park and its stunning mountain range.
For those looking to escape and relax for a weekend it’s as easy as hopping a 45min ferry to one of the nearby Bay Islands for their white sand beaches and incredible turquoise water. Here you will also find some of the best and cheapest scuba diving certification courses in the world. Located on the world’s 2nd largest barrier reef the Bay Islands offer some of the best snorkelling and diving anywhere!
What to Expect?
Volunteer as a teacher or teacher’s assistant in a school situated on a lush mountainside in the jungle. The school currently has 70 students in grades 1-6 and 15 students in kindergarten. It is located in a steep jungle area near the lower Cangrejal River Watershed in the Pico Bonito National Park called La Herradura near the Caribbean coastal city of La Ceiba.
The school opened it’s doors in February of 2007 with 56 children attending a one-room schoolhouse. Four years later, the school has grown to 85 students and 3 classrooms. There is a School Administrator and two local teachers who oversee the education of the children.
All the students live in remote, isolated and mountainous areas and face extreme poverty conditions on a daily basis. The families rely mostly on their crops and when the crops do poorly, most struggle to find food. Jungle School provides a lunch each day for the students and for some it is their only meal of the day. Some of the children attending this school walk two hours each way on slippery trails in extreme heat every day just to have the opportunity to get an education.
International volunteers are needed to assist with daily classes, preparation and serving of lunch as well as regular maintenance around the school and it’s property. Volunteers begin their days early and ending by 1:00pm at which time they are free to relax back at the volunteer house or explore everything the region has to offer.
• Project Duration: Min 1 week – Long Term
• Project Costs: $885 first 2 weeks, $125 per week after.
• Project Location: Herradura, Honduras; located approximately 20mins south of La Ceiba on the north coast in the stunning Pico Bonito Mountains.
• Arrival Airport: La Ceiba (LCE) or San Pedro Sula (SAP)
• Activities: Teach/Assist kindergarten through Grade 6 in a small school.
• Working Hours: Flexible; Monday to Friday up to 8 hours a day, all other time is free.
• Getting to the project: Transportation is supplied by your in-counrty volunteer coordinator.
• Requirements: Minimum Age 18.
• Accommodation: Volunteers stay at the volunteer house located in the city. Rooms are shared. House is fully furnished, equipped kitchen, washer/dryer, cable tv and internet included.
• Bus Terminal Pickup & Drop-off : Included on arrival and departure day.
• Training: Pre-departure “Introductory Package” will be mailed and in-country orientation with our Volunteer Coordinator.
• Support: Pre-departure briefing & help-desk, local in-country Volunteer Coordinator and 24 hour emergency support.
• Travel & Medical Insurance: All AAV volunteers will receive “Basic” Travel & Medical insurance included in their package.
• Bonus: “Welcome Package” with and AAV t-shirt, local tips and coupons to help you get settled quickly and enhance the duration of your stay!
• Ask about our local home-stay options, breakfast & dinner included each day (7 days).
• Ask about adding Spanish Language Classes to your trip!
What’s NOT Included
• Airfare: However, we would be more than happy to help you find and schedule your flight
• Airport Transportation: from San Pedro Sula to La Ceiba, $18USD by bus 3hrs. Or, by plane, $55USD 35mins.
• Departure Tax: Approx $37USD @ the San Pedro Sula Airport * The above pricing is variable, depending on the accommodation option selected.
- Program ID: # 1635
- duration: Less than 1 Week1 to 2 Weeks2 Weeks to 1 Month1 to 3 MonthsMore than 3 Months
- location: Central America La CeibaHonduras15° 44' 59.8668" N, 86° 51' 28.476" W
- Fitness level: Light ImpactModerately Fit
- Closest Airport:
- Costs From: $500 to $1000
- Program Type: Community Development ProjectsTeach OverseasWomen's & Youth Programs
- Program Url:
No Testimonials at this time