Volunteers will be living in the heart of a Big 5 Game Reserve! Surrounding the stunning Thanda Game Reserve are rural communities spread over a wide area, with many children and young adults in need of education and support. There are some local crèches which provide a place for children to go, many of whom are affected by HIV and AIDS. These places have little or no resources for play or education, even though the local volunteer teachers try their best to make do with what they have. Our aim is to assist the teachers by helping with basic learning, fun activities and lots of play for the children - in some places there are as many as 70 energetic children to be looked after!
Volunteers play a huge part in this assistance and form special bonds with the children and teachers. We also help with development initiatives, identified and run by members of the community, including chicken farming to raise funds for needy families, farming to encourage healthy living, refurbishment of important community buildings and supporting a Youth Club for disadvantaged teenagers and young adults. This project, with its adorable children, offers the chance to support community members who want to develop sustainable change initiatives. To inspire young men and women to make a difference is truly a life changing experience.
What to Expect?
This is a project set up specifically and exclusively for anyone over 30 years of age. The activities have been chosen to deliver sustainable change whilst providing you with the opportunity to share your knowledge, skills and experiences with young people in the Zulu heartland.
- Live in the heart of a Big 5 Game Reserve and work on community projects in the surrounding areas
- Use your life experiences, knowledge and skills to inspire Zulu children and Adults to be involved in development initiatives to support sustainable change
- Educate and play with small children, some of whom have lost their parents as a result of AIDS
- Help with the refurbishment of very basic classrooms to provide a better environment for education
- Work alongside community members to create a chicken farm bringing much needed income to families living in rural communities
- Get involved with the local Youth Club, giving help direction and a sense of worth to underprivileged teenagers and young adults
- Help build, refurbish and paint community buildings such as churches, schools and day care centres
- Immerse yourself in the local Zulu culture and learn the language
- Make friends for life
- Program ID: # 2091
- duration: 2 Weeks to 1 Month1 to 3 Months
- location: Thanda Private Game Reserve Kwazulu-NatalSouth Africa28° 28' 24.672" S, 32° 9' 25.1352" EZA
- Fitness level: Light Impact
- Closest Airport: Please contact program
- Costs From: $1000 to $1500$1500 to $3000
- Program Type: Community Development ProjectsTeach OverseasWomen's & Youth Programs
- Click Here for More Info