Your experience as a Research Assistant volunteer will: Provide hands-on field experience with the world’s largest sea turtle - Research Assistants are not just observers but active members of the research team.
Directly help the reduction of illegal egg poaching activities - the presence of nightly research patrols has reduced this threat by more than 60%. Contribute to the preservation of Grenada’s turtles through local educational events.
Increase community participation – The very presence of Research Assistants working on the programme generates local interest in marine turtles and the significance of Grenada’s coastline to these species.
What to Expect?
Duties will include: Night patrols of the main leatherback nesting site Flipper tagging of unmarked females
Data collection – carapace (shell) measurements, egg counts, nest relocation
Morning surveys (on foot) of adjacent beaches
Maintenance and preparation of research equipment
Summer camp organisation and participation
Carnival ‘Turtle Mas’ camp – costume design and creation
Assisting with organised turtle watches for school/community groups and tourists
Camp maintenance and cleaning
- Program ID: # 1609
- duration: 1 to 2 Weeks2 Weeks to 1 Month1 to 3 Months
- location: Levera BeachGrenada12° 13' 34.608" N, 61° 36' 40.7808" WGD
- Fitness level: Light Impact
- Closest Airport: Grenada (GND)
- Costs From: $1000 to $1500$1500 to $3000
- Program Type: Community Development ProjectsEnvironmental & Wildlife Programs
- Click Here for More Info