Join one of the rarest volunteer opportunities in Sri Lanka. Come to the Elephant Freedom Project, a true Elephant Sanctuary where the elephants and you will have an amazing time. At the sanctuary the elephants love to start the morning with a walk through the country side. Back from their walk they enjoy playing in the water. After their bath and swim it is time for pure fun.
This is a very rewarding project for both the elephants and you will find that:
- Elephants walk their special enclosure freely
- Elephants are not here to carry tourists
- You get lots of time with the elephants
- You are really needed to care for the elephants and surroundings
- Engage in Enrichment games with the elephants
- Explore the nearby waterfall and bird sanctuary
- Explore the local town for food shopping
- Help with elephant bathing, food preparation, feeding and cleaning
- Grow fruit and vegetables for the Elephants in the Eco garden
- Help the local community and disabled home
Be part of this fantastic project! You wont find any other project that is this good for the elephants and conservation travellers alike.
What to Expect?
It is time to get personal, up close and personal with the elephants at the Elephant Freedom Project in Sri Lanka. The project offers a rare and truly different elephant conservation experience. Expect to see the elephants roaming the grounds freely, not chained to trees and no tourist riding them. See how they enjoy their wash and swim in the water, walking through the rural areas and playing in the enclosure.
Your help is needed at the project with activities ranging from bathing and feeding the elephants to maintaining the project site. Elephant beds need to be made and the grounds must be maintained to keep it safe for both the elephants and ourselves. Part of the project is to engage in enrichment games and you are challenged to come up with clever new ways of engaging with the elephants. Elephants are extremely intelligent as you'll find out soon enough.
There are also opportunities to interact with the local community. Especially the children enjoy taking part in our English classes or to play sports and games. We also help out at the local disabled home where we are always greeted with enthusiasm.
Included in the project fee are the cooking classes and language classes which give you the option of learning more about the Sri Lankan culture and surprise your friends and family with truely delicious Sri Lankan meals when you return home.
The project offers home stay accommodation for a maximum of 12 conservation volunteers at the family house on the project grounds (black/white picture shown in slideshow). The house is located at the foot of a hill which gives you amazing views over the surrounding landscape. Opposite the project is a small shop where you can buy cookies, water, drinks, washing powder, mobile sim cards etc. We make sure that you are given 3 good meals a day and if you like you can explore the local village by joining the daily food shop.
Cost per week: $569/wk + $129 registration fee.
What is included in the project fee?
- A shared accommodation
- Three meals a day Monday to Friday (weekends are free for volunteers that like to explore the island)
- Airport Transfers (Sunday arrival and all departure days included)
- Full orientation on your first project day
- In-country support and 24h emergency assistance
- Assistance for visa renewal
- Travel advice and help in arranging trips
Important to know: This project is a unique in Sri Lanka and doesn’t make money from elephant rides. This project is especially important to us as it is one of the first true animal paradise projects in Sri Lanka for domesticated Elephants.
- Program ID: # 2425
- duration: Less than 1 Week1 to 2 Weeks2 Weeks to 1 Month1 to 3 MonthsMore than 3 Months
- location: Elephant Freedom ProjectKarandupana-Rambukkana RoadKegalleSri Lanka14° 19' 57.0576" S, 79° 27' 0.7056" E
- Fitness level: Light Impact
- Closest Airport: Colombo Airport (Bandaranaike International)
- Costs From: Less than $500$500 to $1000$1000 to $1500$1500 to $3000
- Program Type: Community Development ProjectsEnvironmental & Wildlife Programs