Become a community development Volunteer in Kenton on Sea in South Africa. Projects include teaching English, pre-school volunteering, assisting the elderly, youth guidance, working in soup kitchens, IT coaching and beach conservation. You will work with underprivileged communities across a broad spectrum of age categories; from the children at pre-school programmes through to the elderly on the “Age in Action” project.
Volunteers can join year round from 2 to 12 weeks in duration. We have places throughout 2016 available.
Individuals, groups and students all welcome.
Cost including comfortable accommodation in a volunteer house, food, training & supervision, transportation when at the project, laundry; starts at £695.
This Community Volunteer Programme is the heart of an ecosystem of social change where initiatives are both mutually beneficial and dependent. The approach of this project is termed ‘Adaptive Development’. We listen and learn about what the community needs and we provide tools that can be used in inspiring and unintended positive ways. Our start point is our ethos: even the poorest of communities are resources rich.
What to Expect?
The volunteer house is situated in the lovely seaside town of Kenton On Sea. Kenton lies between the Kariega and Bushmans Rivers and boasts stunning beaches and beautiful scenery. The accommodation is clean and comfortable (not luxurious) and only a short walk from the beach and the Kariega Estuary – a swim in the Indian Ocean is a must after a rewarding day’s work. Volunteers must be prepared to share a bedroom and bathrooms with fellow house mates, but there are single room options available for couples. All bedding is provided for you. The house has got a fully equipped kitchen, lounge with T.V , a court yard and BBQ facilities. Volunteers are required to help keep the house clean and presentable. The accommodation is within walking distance of all of Kenton’s shops, banks, an internet cafe and restaurants. All the ingredients for three basic meals a day are provided and meals are made by the volunteers themselves at the house.
There are additional activities that can be organised for you on a Saturday (at your own cost and on condition that a few others in the group also want to partake in the activity), including:
* Horseback riding on the beach or in a game reserve
* Sky diving – tandem (that means you are strapped to an instructor!)
* Deep sea fishing
* Two day canoe trail on the Kowie river (this is a hit with many of our volunteer groups)
* Addo Elephant National Park field trip
* Weekend trips away can include bungee jumping, canopy tours and shark cage diving
- Program ID: # 2570
- duration: 1 to 2 Weeks2 Weeks to 1 Month1 to 3 Months
- location: Kenton On SeaUnited StatesUS
- Fitness level: Moderately FitVery Fit
- Closest Airport: Port Elizabeth, South Africa (PLZ)
- Costs From: $500 to $1000$1000 to $1500
- Program Type: Community Development Projects
- Click Here for More Info