Join our research team in the Ionian sea and become a marine conservation volunteer helping to protect the marine environment and provide long term viability for the species. This project focuses on the Bottlenose Dolphin and the Short-Beaked Common Dolphin.
You will be able to take part in various opportunities such as:
- Monitoring dolphins in the area using specific surveying techniques
- Dolphin photo-identification
- Recording dolphin behaviour and group sizes
- Data collection of other marine species
- Assessment of how local dolphins interact with fisheries
What to Expect?
Due to the nature of this project all volunteers will need to be comfortable with spending many hours at sea. Volunteers will be exposed to the sun for long periods of time as there are no shaded areas, therefore those prone to heatstroke and sunburn may not find this project suitable. For safety reasons volunteers should also be able to swim and should weigh no more than 120kg (265lbs) to ensure the boat remains in balance.
Volunteers work alongside the research team on a daily basis and are expected to log infomation upon a dolphin sighting. The work is fast paced and a lot of data needs to be recorded in a short amount of time, thus volunteers must be alert at all times throughout the boat journeys.
- Program ID: # 2533
- duration: Less than 1 Week1 to 2 Weeks
- location: VonitsaGreeceGR
- Fitness level: Very Fit
- Closest Airport: Athens, Greece (ATH)
- Costs From: $500 to $1000$1000 to $1500
- Program Type: Environmental & Wildlife Programs
- Click Here for More Info